2010 in review
December 31, 2010 Leave a comment
Seeing its New Years Eve and I’m home early (perils of a young family) I thought I’d take a few minutes to reflect on 2010.
For me professionally 2010 was a phenomenal year. Here is a bit of a break down :
This year I spent a lot of time presenting. I presented at a grand total of 12 events, which is a huge improvement on the 5 of the previous year, some highlights include :
- Over the course of the year I presented at every SharePoint Saturday in Australia except for Perth. Sorry Perth, you were just too far… this year!
- In May and December I organised and ran two successful events in Brisbane, SharePoint Saturday and Infrastructure Saturday
- In December I presented at an overseas gig, SharePoint Saturday New Zealand
- In June I presented at the Australian SharePoint Conference, this was a great experience and one I hope to repeat in 2011.
- In August I had the privilege of presenting at Tech Ed Australia with Ben Fletcher. This one was a long term goal I did not really expect to achieve this year, but somehow got there. Thanks for the help Ben!
- And finally the highlight of the year, I had the honour of attending the inaugural Microsoft Evangelist Academy. I could rave about this for days, but its probably easier to look back a post or two on the blog for the full details.
Career wise what I think is probably the best and most exciting step and joined OBS in April as an Infrastructure Consultant. Since before I even started I have been in awe of just how fantastic this company is, after sharing an office with them for 18 months prior to joining up, I got a very exclusive sneak preview into the exceptional people and work that really makes this company pop. I had a fantastic first eight months, worked on some mammoth projects, got to work shoulder to shoulder with some of the people I consider to be the best in the SharePoint world, learnt a heap and generally had a blast.
So what is there to expect in 2011?
There are two professional aspects I am really going to focus on in 2011.
- I’m really looking forward to seeing what 2011 has to offer for me at OBS. There are some fairly exciting things on the boil, and I have a few goals I’d like to achieve that I’d rather not share here yet.
- With the help of the Microsoft Evangelist Academy and a lot of my own hard work I’m going to really focus on my Presenting. There are a lot of things I can do to really improve my presentation skills and making some really excellent presentations at events this year. I also have a mini-goal of presenting at an event in the States, hopefully I can make that happen!
So 2010, thanks for a exceptionally good year. Bring on 2011, I think it will be even better!